This article is applicable for the users with Microsoft Outlook 2016 whereby unable to update their Microsoft Outlook 2016 to version 16.0.6568.2036 for the reported bug:
a) All email are deleted / missing from your the server after Outlook downloads them to the local computer.
b) Email messages are downloaded multiple times in Outlook and cause duplicate items of the same email.
As a Workaround
If you are unable to update your Outlook to version 16.0.6568.2036 or later, you can use the below method as an alternative solution.
You are able to configure your email account to use IMAP instead of POP3 through IMAP connections. The following steps will create a new Outlook profile configured to connect using IMAP.
The new Outlook profile created using these steps will not contain your previous email data. You can import your previous email data from the .PST file used by your POP3 account, or you can switch back to your POP3 account when you want to access your previous email data.
- Exit Outlook.
- In Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.
To locate the Mail item, open Control Panel, and then in the Search box at the top of window, type Mail.
- In Control Panel for Windows XP, type Mail in the Address box.
- Click Show Profiles.
- Click Add.
- Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.
- Select Manual setup or additional server types and then click Next.
- Select POP or IMAP and then click Next.
- Enter your name and email address, and then select IMAP for the Account Type.
- Enter your Incoming mail server and Outgoing mail server (SMTP) details, and your logon information, and then click Next.
Note Go to your email server host's website or contact them to collect the incoming and outgoing mail server details.
- Your account settings will be tested to verify that they are correct.
- If the tests are completed successfully, click Close.
- If you receive an error during the tests, click Close. Correct the information in the account settings and repeat steps 9 and 10 until the account settings are correct.
11. Click Finish
12. In Mail, make sure that "Always use this profile" option is selected, and then select your new profile name from the list.
13. Click OK.
If you prefer to continue using IMAP in the new Outlook profile, you can import your previous email data from the .pst file that was used by your POP3 account by following these steps.
- In Mail, select your POP3 account profile, and then click Properties.
- Click Data Files.
- Note the .pst file locaiton that is listed in the Location field.
- Click Close two times.
- Start Outlook. It will open the IMAP account profile that you configured in the previous steps.
- On the File tab, click Import/Export.
- Select Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst), and then click Next.
- Click Browse, and browse to the location found in step 3 to select the .pst file, and then click Open.
- Select the option that you prefer (Do not import duplicates may be preferred), and then click Next.
- Click Finish.