In general A record refers to the IP where the website is hosted or pointed to whilst MX record refers to the IP where the email service is hosted or pointed to.
There are several methods to check on the status and below are the part of it: Method 1
1. Navigate to the URL http://www.intodns.com/
2. Key in the domain name and click on Report
3. For MX Record, hover the mouse over to the portion of "MX" and you may check for the email server IP in the portion as below: Your MX records that were reported by your nameservers are:
Generally there will be 2 records for MX which are primary and secondary and therefore the IP with the lowest priority will be the primary server IP.
Eg: 0 mail.domainname IP 1
21 mail.domainname IP 2 (Secondary server)
4. For A record, hover the mouse over to the portion of "WWW" and you may check for the A record for the website in the portion as below: Your www.domainname A record is:
1. Click on Start
2. In the command prompt type in the command as below: Email
--> ping mail.domainameWeb
--> ping domainname or ping www.domainnamePlease take note that those results might be cached to the previous result.