This instruction refers to unmodified Google Android 2.1 or higher versions.
Android 2.1 and above usually comes with a pre-installed ActiveSync client, enabling you to synchronize your E-Mails and contacts between your Android device and the Open-Xchange Server. With Android 2.2 it is also possible to synchronize appointments. Mobile device vendors and carriers might have different implementations or even removed the functionality from their custom Android software.
How to configure your Android 2.1 (or higher) device:
- From the application overview select Settings.
- Select Accounts and synchronization.
- Select Add account.
- Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (this can also hide under other names like Business or Commercial)=
- On the E-Mail setup page enter the following data:
- The E-Mail address used for your E-Mail account on the Open-Xchange Server.
- Your password for accessing the Open-Xchange Server.
- Select Next.
- On the Exchange Server Settings page enter the following data.
- In the Domain name/username field enter your user name for the Open-Xchange Server. Please note it is case-sensitiv. Please also note:
- If your username contains the @ character: first enter the characters after @, then the "\" character, then the characters before @. Example: For "firstname.lastname@example.org" enter ox.io\mike .
- If your username does not contain the @ character: first enter the characters "defaultcontext", then the "\" character, then the username. Example: For the username "mike" enter defaultcontext\mike
- Select Next.
- The password for accessing the Open-Xchange Server. The password was entered already in the previous dialog. Check it now and if necessary, correct it.
- In the Exchange Server field enter the ox.domain.com, replace domain.com with the domain name you subscribe. If your domain name not yet fully propagate, you can use 188.8.131.52 (MY) , 184.108.40.206 (SG), 220.127.116.11 (US) .
- To make an encrypted transfer of your data, activate the respective option.
- Select Next
Result: Your Android is configured for the usage with the Open-Xchange Server. The initial synchronization is immediately started automatically. Depending on the data volume and the network connection the initial synchronization can take a while