2) What can my business store?
Companies can store different types of information under their .tel domain:
1. Contact Info: Telephone, Mobile, Email, VOIP, Fax, and so on
2. Content Links: Websites, portals, blogs, links to partners or affiliates, links to photo and video materials, social profiles, etc.
3. Navigation Links: links to sub-folders for information on different company departments or locations
4. Geolocation: a map to your location and a text address
5. Indexable Text: An intro or status message at the top and keywords at the bottom, both of which are indexed by leading search engines
6. Advertisements: Sponsored links at the top, right and bottom of the page; Google AdSense also enabled in March 2010 Watch Video.
3) Who can register for a .tel domain name and what are the special registration requirements/restrictions for .tel domain name?
There are no restrictions on who can register .tel domain, anyone from any country can register for a .tel domain name however there are some special rules for .tel domain name as below:
Domain name cannot contain of purely digits.
.tel domain name do not allows creating of a website, in another words; it disallows A-records that map .tel domain names to a custom website.
.tel involves unique technology which store contact information, keywords and unique nameserver is required. Therefore, all .tel domain name submit via Exabytes will be using Exabytes set of default nameserver.
Whois disclosure option is only applicable for individual registrant; individual registrant can choose to not disclose the Whois information. Private and sensitive information will not be disclosed when this option has been selected. Companies/organization registrant by default must disclose all the whois information.
For details information, please refer to http://www.telnic.org/
In order for a .tel domain name to take effect, domain registrant required to setting up the .tel domain name as soon as possible after successfully of the registration as registry will perform checking on the domain name.
Domain registrant required to login into https://telhosting.manage.name with Telhosting User Login and fill up at least one contact information so that the domain can resolve according to Registry's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP); http://static.telnic.org/downloads/AUP.pdf
The reserved list is also available for review.
The Telhosting User Login will be sent to the domain registrant so that they can setting up and manage the domain name.
For more information about setting up .tel name, please refer to http://www.telnic.org/downloads/telguide.pdf
The WHOIS service enables you retrieve information on.tel domain name holders, although individuals may opt out of WHOIS and hide some of their contact details. To perform a WHOIS lookup you can use our web facility or a variety of other lookup methods such as UNIX "whois" command.
Please refer to the following articles for the common registration requirements.
Domain Name FAQs
Domain Name Extension with Limitation on Characters
4) What are the key features of .tel?
The .tel enables:
1. Click to communicate contact information
2. Quick real-time updates from browsers or mobile phones
3. Dynamic profiles that you can switch on the go
4. Powerful privacy settings that let you choose who sees what information
5. Multi-lingual keywords indexed by leading search engines
6. Multi-location setup with contact information and keywords at every level
7. Effective mobile presence Watch Video
5) Can I protect my private data?
The .tel enables you to protect your private data, allowing it to be seen only by people you authorize. For more information, please see How do I protect my Private Data.
6) How will customers use .tel to find my business?
If your customers do not know your .tel domain name they can search for you on Telpages, the .tel global business directory, or leading search engines such as Google and Bing. Watch Video.
Effective use of .tel domains as an SEO tool can improve your search engine rankings. Watch slideshow on SEO
7) How will customers use .tel to contact my business?
Your customers can enter Your Company's .tel domain into any web browser on any internet enabled device including mobile. Wherever possible, .tel enables all your contact information, maps and weblinks to become clickable so your customers can communicate with you instantly. The .tel can also be used for interactive communication, such as voting mechanisms driven by premium numbers and SMS/text messages. For example, viewers could access my-idol.tel from their mobile telephone and vote for their favorite contestant. Watch Video.
8) How does my company configure its .tel domain?
After buying your company's .tel, you will configure it using a simple online interface on the website of the registrar from whom you bought your .tel. You will not need to build a website or hire a new webmaster. Configuring a .tel is very easy and allows you to input your data and create navigation (for multiple locations or departments). Your company can update its contact information anytime an as often as needed. Watch Video.
9) How can my company integrate .tel into its existing website?
Integrating the .tel into your existing website can be achieved either by providing a link to your .tel from your 'Contact Us' page, or by using the .tel Website Integration Tool to customize your 'Contact Us' page with .tel technology, making your data much more dynamic while maintaining your company's look and feel. Watch Video.
10) How do I access the .tel zone file?
To request access the .tel zone file, complete and sign the .tel Zone File Access Agreement form. You need to return the form to Telnic Limited via post, fax or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
11) Can I run a commercial directory under a .tel domain?
Yes. You are allowed to run a commercial directory-style service under your .tel domain under the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP); the restrictions are that you are not allowed to sub-delegate the management of that contact information to a third party.
12) What is the different between .tel domain name and other domain name?
.tel domain name unlike other domain name which maps domain names to a IP address and displaying as a website. .tel domain name implementing unique technology to maps domain names to contact information (personal and corporate) and keywords that are stored directly, making it universally accessible.
It acting as a communication hub and listing of a global directory which registrants can store contact information they wish such phone no, email, IM ID, ICQ ID, myspace ID and more.
13) What is the length for .tel domain name?
Minimum of 3 / maximum of 63 characters allowed.
14) What is the term of registration?
The term of registration is 1-10 years.
15) How do I perform a .tel domain registration?
You may submit your order for the domain name registration here.
16) Can I delete a domain after registered?
No, you are not allowed to delete the domain name after its registered; the registration fee is non-refundable. You shall be the owner of the domain for the fiscal year.
17) What is the .tel global directory and how can I get a listing?
The purchase of your .tel domain offers you entry into the first real-time, global directory created by the Telnic Registry. Once you create your .tel account and create your listing, your website will resolve. Entry into the directory is included with the cost of your .tel domain. You will control and manage all your contact information and can update it in real-time whenever you wish. Unlike other directory services that can be difficult to manage and are expensive, the .tel directory provides worldwide coverage, full control and real-time updating.
18) How long does it take for a .tel domain to become active?
Domain name applications are usually processed in real time; however, it can take up to 24 hours for newly registered domains to become active. Plus, when the domain becomes active, it needs to be populated with contact information before your .tel site will resolve. Please note: You need to have at least one public contact item set up in your .tel dashboard; otherwise, you will be in violation of the Acceptable Use Policy and your domain may be deleted.
19) How do I host my .tel domain name?
.tel domain names are not hosted in the traditional sense. Instead of mapping to an IP address a .tel domain maps to contact information and keywords stored directly in the DNS (domain name server) enabling companies to use the DNS as a data store. This allows for faster access and real-time updates. All .tel domain names must use the standard .tel template provided through your registrar and the Telnic hosting community. While you manage and control all your contact information and can update it in real-time whenever you wish, the creative elements of a .tel website will be consistent for all domains.
20) When will my website for the .tel domain name resolve?
Once you register your .tel domain you will gain access to the .tel management dashboard where you can add and manage your contact information. Once you have added at least one contact to your account via your .tel management dashboard it may take up to 6 hours for your site to publish for the first time. After the initial publication any changes you make should take effect in near-real time.
21) What is the term of renewal?
The term of renewal is 1-10 years.
22) What is the renewal grace period for .tel domain name and how do I perform a domain renewal?
Renewal grace period for .tel domain name is 30 days; you may renew your domain name by logging in to our Exabytes Client Billing System. For further details, please click here.
You may refer to Domain Renewal FAQs for more information.
23) Any Redemption Grace Period (RGP) for .tel domain name?
Yes, Redemption Grace Period for .tel domain name is a period of 30 days. Kindly refer to Domain Redemption FAQs for more information.
24) How long does it takes for a domain to release to public registration after expired and not renew?
After a .tel domain was expired, it will go through below life cycle:-
30 days renewal grace period -- > 30 days Redemption grace period --> 5 days pending delete
If you did not renew or restore the domain name, it will be released for public re-registration approximately 75 days from the domain expiration date. Please note that domain re-registration is on first-come, first-served basis.
25) Can I initiate a registrar transfer for .tel domain name and how do I initiate the transfer?
Yes, you are allowed to initiate registrar transfer for .tel domain name. Please note that domain will be extended for 1 year after completion.
You may refer to Transfer Domain to Exabytes for more information.
26) How do I resolve a dispute regarding my .tel domain?
.tel domain names are subject to the ICANN Uniform Dispute Resolution Procedure (UDRP).
27) How do I update the nameserver for my .tel domain name?
.tel involves unique technology which store contact information, keywords and unique nameserver is required. Therefore, all .tel domain name submit via WebNIC will be using WebNIC set of default nameserver.
Therefore, Exabytes are unable to update the nameserver of a .tel domain name.
28) Is it possible for registrants to change a .Tel domain name with their own DNS and build a website?
No, it is not possible to update to own DNS. The DNS setting of a .Tel domain name is different from other gTLDs, and the .Tel DNS must be appointed by the .Tel registry. This means that the .Tel domain owner can NOT setup or change with their own DNS.
No, the TelHosting policy disallows A-records that map .TEL domains to custom websites. All .Tel domains point to a proxy page displaying contact information which can then be universally accessible.
29) Does Exabytes provide Internationalized Domain name (IDN) for .tel?
No, Exabytes does not provide IDN.tel domain name at this moment.
30) Why isn't my .tel domain in search engines?
The .tel domain is optimized for search engines, but you need to add keywords to help the engines categorize your .tel and move it to the top of search results. There's no quick trick, so it may take several weeks for a .tel domain with wise keyword entries to get better hits from search engines.
31) I forgot my username (password)?
On the login page, click 'Forgotten your password?' and specify the email address associated with your .tel Dashboard account. A temporary password will be sent to that email address.
32) What email address will be on file with my .tel website account?
Your primary email address will be on file along with your username and password. You can change the email address when you log in to the .tel management dashboard.