2) Who can register for a .us domain name and what are the special registration requirements/restrictions for .us domain name?
Special requirements/restrictions for a .us domain name are as below:-
a) To register a .us domain name, one of the following eligibility requirements must be met:
- A natural person (i) who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United State of American or any of its possessions or territories or (ii) whose primary place of domicile is in the United State of American or any of its possessions, or
- Any entity or organization that is incorporate within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United State possessions or territories or (ii) organized or otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United State of American, the District of Columbia, or any of it possessions or territories, or
- An entity or organization (including federal, state, or local government of the United State, or a political subdivision thereof) that has a bona fide presence in the United State.
Please refer to the following articles for the common registration requirements.
Domain Name FAQs
Domain Name Extension with Limitation on Characters
3) Are there any reserved or blocked .us domain names?
The .us Registry has reserved or blocked certain names. These include:
- All numbers five digits and higher;
- All numbers in the format five digits-four digits (zip codes);
- All telephone numbers including toll-free numbers.
4) What is the length for .us domain name?
Minimum of 3 / maximum of 63 characters allowed.
5) What is the term of registration?
The term of registration is 1-10 years.
6) How do I perform a .us domain registration?
You may submit your order for the domain name registration here.
7) Can I delete a domain after registered?
No, you are not allowed to delete the domain name after its registered; the registration fee is non-refundable. You shall be the owner of the domain for the fiscal year.
8) What is the term of renewal?
The term of renewal is 1-10 years.
9) What is the renewal grace period for .us domain name and how do I perform a domain renewal?
Renewal grace period for .us domain name is 30 days; you may renew your domain name by logging in to our Exabytes Client Billing System. For further details, please click here.
You may refer to Domain Renewal FAQs for more information.
10) Any Redemption Grace Period (RGP) for .us domain name?
Yes, Redemption Grace Period for .us domain name is a period of 30 days. Kindly refer to Domain Redemption FAQs for more information.
11) How long does it takes for a domain to release to public registration after expired and not renew?
After a .us domain was expired, it will go through below life cycle:-
40 days renewal grace period -- > 30 days Redemption grace period --> 5 days pending delete
If you did not renew or restore the domain name, it will be release for public re-registration approximately 75 days from the domain expiration date. Please note that domain re-registration is on first-come, first-served basis.
12) Can I initiate a registrar transfer for .us domain name and how do I initiate the transfer?
Yes, you are allowed to initiate registrar transfer for .us domain name. Please note that domain will be extended for 1 year after completion.
You may refer to Transfer Domain to Exabytes for more information.
13) Does Exabytes provide Internationalized Domain name (IDN) for .us?
No, Exabytes does not provide IDN.us domain name at this moment.
14) What is Nexus Requirements?
Registrant for a .us domain name must fall in one of three U.S. Nexus categories and must certify that you have a "bona fide presence in the United States."
During registration, you must indicate your use of the .us domain by selecting one of the three U.S. Nexus categories. The registry will conducts weekly random checks for US nexus requirements by send out the Nexus confirmation email to the domain registrant.
15) Why my customer did received the email from the .us registry?
.us registry has an agreement with the United States Department of Commerce that requires them to perform random "spot checks" on registrations in the .us domain name to ensure that they comply with the US Nexus Requirements.
16) What does the Nexus Confirmation email mean?
If registrant received a Nexus Confirmation email from .us registry, registrant needs to prove that he/she comply with the Nexus requirements. This means that registrant needs to prove that he/she complies with one of the following:-
Category 1 - You are a US citizen or permanent resident
Category 2 - You are a US business or organization.
Category 3 - You are a "foreign entity organization that has a bona fide presence in the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories."
17) What should I do when received the Nexus Confirmation email?
Registrant must reply to the email by giving a written response describing how he/she qualify under one or some of the Nexus categories.
18) What happens if I do not reply to the Nexus Confirmation email?
If registrant does not respond to the email or are unable to explain or demonstrate that he/she meet any of the Nexus Requirements within the duration given, registrant will risk losing the domain name in question and there will be no refund for the registration fees made on the domain name.
19) How often can I expect to get this?
Registrant may receive a maximum of one Nexus Confirmation email per domain registration. However, not all registrants will receive a Nexus confirmation email, .us registry will only perform spot-checks so it is possible that he/she may not receive a Nexus Confirmation email.
20) How will .us registry select registrations for the Nexus Confirmation email?
Each week .us registry will select a random sample of registrations.