2) What kind of .hk domain name does Exabytes offer?
Exabytes provides English Second-Level .hk, Chinese Second-Level .hk, .com.hk, .net.hk and .org.hk domain registration.
3) Who can register for a Second-Level .hk domain name and what are the special registration requirements/restrictions for Second-Level .hk domain name?
There are no restrictions on who can register Second-Level .hk domain name, it can be register by any individual or business in any country. Generally, there is no documentary proof required except for those domain name applications consisting of or containing a reference to wordings like 'bank', 'insurance' or 'assurance'.
For domain name containing 'insurance', 'assurance' or related words, a true copy of the written consent issued by the Insurance Authority is required while domain name containing 'bank' or any of its derivatives, a true copy of the specific consent by the Monetary Authority (MA) is required. Please kindly provide the related document within 13 calendar days from the submission date, reminder will be sent on the 14th calendar day, if the required document are still not yet received within 10 calendar days from the reminder sent, the application will be cancelled.
Please refer to the following articles for the common registration requirements.
Domain Name FAQs
Domain Name Extension with Limitation on Characters
4) Who can register for a Third-Level .hk domain name and what are the special registration requirements/restrictions for Third-Level .hk domain name?
3LD .hk domain names are designed for Hong Kong organizations.
Before proceeding with the online registration, please have the required documents ready. You may refer table below for the example of documents which will accept by HKDNR. When filling in the information, make sure that all the data entered are correct and accurate; for those documents related data, be sure that they are identical with stated on the documents, ie. the organization name and document number. Please also ensure that information provided for domain name application is true and accurate. Registry reserves the rights to take back the domain name if information provided is false.
Type of supporting document
Commercial entities registered in HKSAR
- A copy of the Business Registration Certificate (BR) issued by the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) of HKSARG (NOT registered as a Branch) i.e. name of the organization shall be that of the head office, not branch office, or
- A copy of the Certificate of Registration of Overseas Company issued by the Company Registry (CR) of HKSARG, or
- Other documentary proof required for the application of .org.hk, .edu.hk, .net.hk or .gov.hk with a letter stating the reason of selecting .com.hk.
Entities managing network infrastructure, machines and services with a license from the Office of Telecommunications Authority of the HKSARG
- A copy of the PNETS (IVANS / ISP) license issued by the Office of the Telecommunications Authority of the Government HKSAR, or
- Fixed Telecommunication Network Services (FTNS) / Fixed Carrier License.
Registered or approved not-for-profit organizations in HKSARG
- A copy of the tax exemption letter issued by Inland Revenue Department (IRD) that shows your organization is a charity or non-profit making organization (under Section 88 or 87), or
- A copy of the Certificate of a Society issued by Hong Kong Police, or
- A copy of the proof showing exemption from Registration of a Society issued by Hong Kong Police, or
- A copy of the Certificate of Registration for trade unions or other unions, or
- A copy of Certificate of Owners' Corporation under Building Ordinance, or
- A copy of Registration of a Hospital / Nursing Home (under Section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance), or
- A copy of the Certificate of Registration of a Child Care Centre, or
- Application letter issued by Government Department, or
- Gazatte / Ordinance mentioned the establishment of your organization together with an application letter issed by your organization if you are a statutory body, or
- A copy of the Memorandum of Association shows that no dividend per share to shareholders plus copy of the Business Registration Certificate or Certificate of Incoporation, or
- Other valid document proofing the non-profit making nature of your organization.
Third-Level .hk domain name registration processing time will depend on two factors: application action and our verification action. We shall process your registration upon receiving the copy of document(s). Once we have received and verified all the required document(s), you will receive email notifications notifying results of the application within 3 working days. However, if the required document(s) are not yet received, registry will give a reminder on the 14th calendar day after receiving your application to notify of the items. If all the required items are still not yet received within 10 calendar days, the application will be cancelled.
5) What are the reserved or prohibited .hk domain names?
The .hk Registry has reserved or blocked certain names. These include:-
- 1-character words;
- Generic top-level domains which include, but are not limited to, sponsored top-level domains;
- Full names or abbreviations of all local regions or districts;
- 2-character country codes;
- Common surnames or family names;
- Any other Domain Name included on the Reserve List.
and additionally, in the case of Chinese Domain Names, Domain Names which we consider to be
- The Chinese translation of generic top level domains and sponsored top level domains;
- Names of countries or regions that use Chinese Characters as their language;
- Common technical terms related to domain names and related international name associations;
- Types and levels of schools and other educational institutions in Hong Kong.
- A .hk Chinese domain name contains at least one Chinese character.
- The rest of the string for a .hk Chinese domain name may be composed of other character(s) like English letters (A-Z, a-z), Arabian numerals (0-9) or a hyphen (-)
- The total number of characters for a .hk Chinese domain name in the string of registration should not exceed 15.
- A hyphen should not appear at the beginning and/or at the end of the string of registration nor as the third and the fourth characters for a .hk Chinese domain name.
6) What is the length for .hk domain name?
Minimum of 2 / maximum of 63 characters are allowed for a .hk English domain name. The total number of characters for a .hk Chinese domain name in the string of registration should not exceed 15.
7) What is the term of registration?
The term of registration is 1,2,3,5 years.
8) How do I perform a .hk domain registration?
You may submit your order for the domain name registration here.
9) Can I delete a domain after registered?
No, you are not allowed to delete the domain name after its registered; the registration fee is non-refundable. You shall be the owner of the domain for the fiscal year.
10) What is the term of renewal?
The term of renewal is 1,2,3,5 years.
11) What is the renewal grace period for .hk domain name and how do I perform a domain renewal?
Renewal grace period for .hk domain name is 29 days; you may renew your domain name by logging in to our Exabytes Client Billing System. For further details, please click here.
You may refer to Domain Renewal FAQs for more information.
12) Any Redemption Grace Period (RGP) for .hk domain name?
Yes, Redemption Grace Period for .hk domain name is a period of 60 days. Kindly refer to Domain Redemption FAQs for more information.
13) How long does it takes for a domain to release to public registration after expired and not renew?
After a .hk domain was expired, it will go through below life cycle:-
29 days renewal grace period -- > 60 days Redemption grace period --> No pending delete
If you did not renew and restore the domain name, it will be release for public re-registration approximately 89 days from the domain expiration date.
14) Can I initiate a registrar transfer for .hk domain name and how do I initiate the transfer?
No, due to registrar transfer function for .hk has yet launched.
15) Can I change registrant name for .hk domain name?
Yes, you are allowed to change registrant name for .hk domain name, please note that change of registrant is chargeable.
Please contact Customer Service for the process and fees.
16) Does Exabytes provide Internationalized Domain name (IDN) for .hk?
Yes, Exabytes does provide IDN.hk domain name.
17) Why do I have a package of Chinese Domain Name for every registration?
Every Chinese Domain character consists of its equivalent traditional, simplified or other variant form (although there are characters having traditional form and simplified form to be the same). The domain name package derived is according to the Chinese Domain Name Variant Table. We will usually activate the domain name that was its full traditional and full simplified form together with the form that applied during registration. Those other combination may not be activated.
18) How does Chinese Domain Name Variant Table establish?
Chinese Domain Name Variant Table is based on the combination of both CN and TW language table worked out in Chinese Domain Name Consortium. They are published in this website http://www.iana.org/assignments/idn/registered.htm.
19) Will my client able to visit my website with .hk Chinese Domain Name?
The current users who are already using i-Nav plug-in in their web browser or they are using IDN-enabled browsers will able to browse the website with .hk Chinese Domain Name.
However, for those who are not using the i-Nav plug-in or an IDN-enabled browser, we recommend the site visitors to install an IDN-enabled browser of their choice and continue to enjoy navigating the Web using IDNs in their own language. A few sample browsers currently supporting IDNs are as follows:
" Microsoft Internet Explorer
Platform: Windows XP, Windows Server 2003
Version: 7.0 and higher
" Netscape Navigator (English only)
Version: 7.0 and higher
" Opera Web Browser
Platform: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
Version: 7.2 and higher
22) Do all the Chinese Characters that can be used in computer system can be registered as .hk Chinese Domain Name?
No. However most of the Chinese Characters that can be used in the computer system can be registered as '.hk' Chinese Domain Name. Some Hong Kong Characters may not be available for '.hk' domain name registration. The availability of domain name for registration bases on the Chinese Domain Name Variant Table (combination of CN and TW Language Tables) You can refer to http://www.iana.org/assignments/idn/registered.htm for CN and TW Language Tables.